Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Ainsworth B.C. Climbing Trip

So, I was thinking May long weekend should be good for our ainsworth climbing/hot springs trip.
http://www.hotnaturally.com/

Here are the tentative dates

May 17, Thursday - leave Calgary after work and drive 7 hours to Ainsworth
May 18, Friday - climb -> hotsprings
May 19, Saturday - ditto
May 20, Sunday - ditto
May 21, Monday - ditto, and then leave ainsworth in the late afternoon for the 7 hour drive back to Calgary.

As Monday is a holiday, if everyone could take Friday off that would mean we would have more time to climb.

If anyone is interested, and depending on who is going, I might want to take more time off and drive up earlier.

So get in shape for a 4-day climbing trip boys and girls and try to get time off :)

Tentative prices

Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort (with view) - $28 per person
http://www.hotnaturally.com/spring_rates.php
Kaslo Hostel (dorm style) - $20 per person
http://www.kaslohostel.com/
Camping - if I remember correctly it's $20 per site ...... gotta check up on this though, will do later

3 comments:

Janice Nguyen said...

Ivo said "I didn't realize that's already a plan! More info please - how's the
climbing, is it sport, what's the rock, prices, anything else to do there?

I try to avoid taking any days. I'm signed up for the GMC camp so
that's one week. The other 2 I'd like to take to go back to Bulgaria
and Montenegro. So I'd prefer leaving on Friday afternoon.

I don't know what you guys think, but for me it's about time to get
more into the alpine stuff if I want to climb the peaks on my list.
And we've been mentioning that on previous occasions - the Bugaboos
contain some of the most impressive scenery and high quality alpine
climbing in North America. So at some point we should definitely do
that. Probably not in May but keep that in mind. Look up things like
Bugaboo spire and Pigeon spire.

Another thing is Robson. It takes 4-5 days to climb it as the approach
is a bit on the long side, and the climb itself is not short too. So
consider that too."

Janice Nguyen said...

Last year Nick and I planned this trip and posted it on the MEC website, but we didn't get replies until last minute, ergo we didn't go. But, I want to sort out dates and interest so that we can post it again and find people out there who know where to go climbing, as last year there were a bunch who were interested in showing us where to go and going with us.

This isn't a set in stone plan, more like a let's get the ball rolling make a plan plan.

The climbing is sport, but last year there were people with gear who wanted to do trad with us.

Between the climbing, hot springs and potential camping, I think we'll have our hands full. Although, for future reference, there's supposed to be some good ice climbing out there. The biggest draw for me personally, are the hot springs, which are located in underground caves.

I agree, we should also plan a Bugaboo trip, perhaps in June or July?

With Robson, we probably want to get some smaller mountains under our belt first, like Athabasca, so we could tentatively schedule Robson for the long weekend at the end of June/beginning of July.

Anonymous said...

hello,
sounds like a fun trip - good combo of climbing/relaxing. i'd also like to know more info re: level of climbing. (as for dates, i also prefer leaving on fri, like ivo.) i'm bouldering at an indoor gym in mexico, but not very often so i guess that gives me about a month when i get back to train. keep me posted! -yoonhee-